Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Juggling Glass Balls

Once in a while I feel like I've gotten in WAY over my head and my "to do" list takes on a life of its own. This is usually my own fault as I am the one who over-schedules my days and sets up a standard for myself that is far too high for even Superwoman to achieve. I start to "drop the ball" so to speak by missing appointments, forgetting to be where I said I would be, not following through on something I promised to do etc.

Several years ago I was in a church meeting and the lady giving the lesson talked about the juggling act we all do. We juggle the kids, house, bills, exercise, scripture study and church callings (service), marriage, temple attendance......well, you get the idea. Sometimes we start to feel overwhelmed and start dropping balls. It happens to everyone, but the important thing is that we DON'T DROP THE GLASS BALLS. Those are the important ones and as long as we keep them going, everything else will be alright.

I've been reflecting on this a lot lately and trying to decide what my "Glass Balls". I guess for me it is the relationship I have with my family and friends, my personal relationship with my Heavenly Father and my health. As long as I keep those precious Glass Balls in the air, the rest can hit the ground once in a while!

2 comments:

The Skiing Wallaces said...

I feel for you Chris! I remember when I felt like my life was so crazy & I was really jealous of you because at the time (you were living with Lesli) your life was pretty easy. You just didn't have much going on. In fact you had to make up things to do so you wouldn't go crazy :)
Ironically, that is my life right now. The only thing on my schedule this summer was "Move to Price". And now that that's on hold, I am basically wide open. The kids aren't signed up for anything, I am not committed to anything- its so wierd! And quite nice :) I read an entire book last week.
Anyway- my point is that our lives always seem to ebb and flow. Just ride the wave :)

Diana said...

I love this anology, thanks for sharing. My glass balls I need to make sure I don't drop over the summer while I am out of my routine with all the kids home, is personal prayer and scripture study. If you need a temple buddy, give me a call. And just for the record... I think you do an amazing juggling act.